Engi 4557: Data and Digital Communications - Fall 2017
- Final project presentation guidelines: Each student is expected
to present for approximately 7 minutes. Total presentation time is
at most 24 minutes for groups of 3 students and at most 16 minutes
for groups of 2 students. The rest of the time is allocated for
- Tuesday, November 28
- 4:00 pm Group 1: GFSK modulation
- 4:25 pm Group 2: Deflate Compression
- 5:00 pm Group 3: Digital Filters
- Thursday, November 30
- 4:00 pm Group 4: JPEG decoding
- 4:35 pm Group 5: Error control
- Project progress presentations will be on Thursday, November
16. Please see Tutorials and
Assignments for details. Monday, November 13 will be a regular
- Next quiz is Monday, November 6th.
- Practice Problems for
midterm. Answers for some problems: 1-a) Use PCM, SNR=38 dB, 1-b)
240 kbps; 2) You have to assume some baseband encoding, assuming
NRZ: baseband bandwidth is 64 kHz (per channel), after multiplier
(and same for QAM signal) is 128 kHz centred at 850 MHz; 3-a)
1110010 (CRC is 10), 3-b) yes because g(1)=0 can not be a factor of
an e(x) with odd number of terms since e(1) must be 1; 4-a) need 7
bits, 4-b) 240 kbps; 8) Shannon's channel capacity is 151 kbps, so
not possible to achieve 1 Mbps; 10-a) each channel needs 250
kpulses/s, using raised-cos pulses needs 250*1.25/2 kHz baseband
bandwidth. QAM signal bandwidth is 312 kHz, 10-b) 15 dB.
- Midterm Date: Tuesday, October 24th
- Quiz 2 date: Monday, October 2nd
- Quiz 1 date: Monday, September 25th
- Form project groups and think about project topics by next
Tutorial session (September 18th).
- Office hours: Tuesdays/Thursdays from 2:30pm to 3:30 pm.
- Tutorial times: Mondays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm in AT 4019.
- Lecture times: Tuesdays/Thursdays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm in BB 2006.
Course Outline link
Tutorials and Assignments
Link to Tutorials and Assignments page.
Link to Class Notes Page
Link to Project information