Engi 4557: Data and Digital Communications - Fall 2016
- Project presentations Tuesday, November 29th:
Thursday, December 1st:
- 4:00 pm Bit Error Rate Analysis of Digitally Modulated
- 4:35 pm LZW Compression
- 4:00 pm ARQ Implementation with Microcontrollers
- 4:25 pm Software Radio
- 5:00 pm BCH Codes
- 2016 midterm exam: Problems and
- Midterm exam: Thursday, October 27th. Sample midterm
exam: Problems and Solutions.
- Office hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 am to 10:30 am.
- Please see Assignments page for
information about tutorials.
- Tutorial times: Mondays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm in AT 4019.
- Lecture times: Tuesdays/Thursdays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm in BB 2006.
Course Outline link
Link to Assignments page.
Link to Class Notes Page
The project report should include project objectives, summary of
theory not covered in class (this may be completely new theory or
details of implementation not covered in class), design description,
results (simulations or measurements) and references. Oral
presentations and project reports will be evaluated using the
The following are some suggestions for project topics. Students can
propose other topics. The project must include a design component.
Students from software engineering must choose a software-related
- Adaptive digital multi-tone link simulation
- Error detection/correction techniques not covered in
class. Example: BCH codes, Reed-Solomon codes and Convolutional
- Data compression algorithms.
- Implementation of selective repeat ARQ over UDP.
- Implementation of ARQ protocol in serial line with microcontrollers.
- Simulation of network routing, traffic shaping, policing etc.
- Digital communication hardware: modulators/demodulators, routers
network interfaces, silicon implementation of algorithms.